The Motor Vehicle Operator (Supervisor) works under the general direction of the Transportation Officer. In consultation with the Transportation Officer, the Motor Vehicle Operator (Supervisor) plans the work and establishes project deadlines on a day-to-day and/or project-by-project basis.
Learn more about this agency Responsibilities
The Motor Vehicle Operator (Supervisor) prescribes methods, procedures, priorities, and time requirements; assigns specific tasks or projects of relatively short duration (i.e., a few hours to 1 or 2 days), and oversees day-to-day direction of a well-established transportation operation. The Motor Vehicle Operator (Supervisor) spot-checks subordinate Motor Vehicle Operator’s work in progress and on completion and provides assistance when problems occur. The Motor Vehicle Operator (Supervisor) work is reviewed by the Transportation Officer to determine if strategic goals and timelines have been met. Duties include, but not limited to the following:
- Ensure constant patient transport, distribution of supplies and equipment to all areas of Southeast Louisiana Veterans’ Healthcare System.
- Provides supervision for 17 non-supervisory Motor Vehicle Operators on a regular basis.
- Responsible for transporting all eligible patients, supplies and equipment between multiple buildings and to other supported areas and overseeing the maintenance of all vehicles receipt, storage, shipment and physical disposal of items turned in.
- Responsible for the transport of veterans eligible for transportation shuttle service, supplies, instruments, furniture, and equipment on a scheduled and unscheduled basis to and from predetermined locations inside and outside of the medical center.
- Responsible for computerized receipt of and delivery of supplies and equipment throughout the system, including inspection upon initial receipt and processing of any needed discrepancies.
- Participate in the loading, unloading, and application of basic, well-established safe patient handling and loading procedures, methods and techniques. Obtains proper receipt signature for commodity delivered. Returns completed documents to the supervisor daily.
- Incumbent takes security precautions in the receipt, handling, and delivery of narcotics, controlled substances, alcohol and precious metals in accordance with current regulations.
- Insures that safety and fire regulations and standards are met and any discrepancies are reported to the Transportation Officer.
- Incumbent is responsible for Veterans transportation program and the delivery of supplies and equipment throughout SLVHCS.
- Prepares and implements training program for motor vehicle operators.
- Incumbent is responsible for checks and maintenance of all types of vehicles.
- Plan, supervise, check, and coordinate the careful unpacking of technical equipment and proper storage to insure its safe keeping, availability, rotation, cleanliness and neatness, and the absence of fire and safety hazards, and coordinate the distribution of supplies and equipment to the using services.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday (Days, Nights, Evenings, Rotating Shifts, and Occasional Weekends)
Position Description Title/PD#: Motor Vehicle Operator Supervisor/629-07181-O
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
About this company
Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System (SLVHCS) provides quality, compassionate, safe health care to Veteran patients throughout 23 parishes in southeast Louisiana.
By working for the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, you’ll have access to a wider range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Residents of Greater New Orleans enjoy one of the highest qualities of life in the United States. While we are known to enjoy many of the best restaurants in the world, more than 300 festivals, vibrant nightlife, not to mention Mardi Gras, that's just the beginning of what we have to offer. We treasure family and community, our children have access to high-quality education, we enjoy an incredible abundance of the arts, and so much more!
Here at Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System, we strive to be an efficient organization through continual process improvement and orderliness by eliminating waste in everything we do. We are generating a Lean environment of abundance and ownership, enabling us to become "one team creating the perfect patient experience"so that we may honor Veterans and their families.
We're in the process of constructing and activating a new medical center that will serve as a model for health care of the future and set the standards for patient-centered care, flexibility and sustainability. It will be a level one, 200 bed tertiary care regional referral center that is projected to serve 70,000 enrolled Veterans. The new medical center will be approximately 1.6 million square feet, with two additional 1,000-car garages for both patients and staff on a 30-acre site in New Orleans. The facility has been designed to meet the full array of VA missions: health care to America's heroes, education, research and national preparedness. It will authentically reflect the culture of the region and be the cornerstone for the emerging biosciences industry in New Orleans. You can help us build from the ground up. Create history with us and join our team!
Location/Region: New Orleans, LA